Friday 5 December 2008

my big little time line :)

I have been playing games for the past 18 years which is around the same age as most of the game art students, not only does this makes me feel old but shows some of my dedication to games haha.
From what i remember my first game was Dizzy, a small egg man that you had to find objects to help you progress through the game which was on the old spectrum console. For example you needed a snorkle to go under water or youll drown and a knife to cut a rope attached to a goat to knock down the troll on a bridge etc.
Around that time i think it was 1990 when i was 3 years old and it needed tape cassettes to play (my dad bought two very large black bin liners full of cassettes!) and it took an aweful long time to start, me my dad and two brothers would go down and make a cup of tea, go play outside for abit and have our dinner to come back to the game nearly fully loaded and thats if it didnt crash on us!
My next console would have been the very awesome megadrive. I picked it out of a curry's store back in 1993, the reason i picked the megadrive because Sonic the hedgehog looked far cooler then super Mario did. Alot of fun the Sonic series was that i kept my megadrive till this very day in a box in the spare room.
My console after that was the Nintendo 64 with Mario Kart and Mario 64 which again i kept because of retro brilliance.
I ended up owning numerous consoles such as the spectrum 1990, megadrive 1993, n64 1996, playstation 1 1997, playstation 2 2000, classic gameboy 1996, gameboy advance sp 2003, nintendo ds 2008, xbox 2006 and the playstation 3 which i bought last week haha. All the consoles i have owned have been of great fun so its hard to pic the best console out of the 10 but if i was made to choose i would have to say the megadrive, because of its many hours of pure button bashing goodness! street fighter was a great example of button bashing fun.
This as a whole is pretty much why i still play games, its because all through the consoles its discovering new ideas and gameplay also watching graphics which looked liked that they were made by cavemen (virtual fighter ha!) to the very beautiful artworks such as gears of war and to look at how games are becoming more and more realistic is fasinating!

No comments: