Monday 15 December 2008

task 9 week 9

There have been a lot of gaming platforms I have used in the past and the one with the easiest interfaces I have ever used was on the Megadrive and the game was Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonics interface was just a simple life counter, ring collection, timer and point collection. Ah I remember the simpler times where games didn’t allow you to save and all you needed was three simple buttons, ah good times haha!!
The nicest looking interface I’ve seen would have to be God of wars with the nicely made health and “magic” bar which is sat upon a sword picture and has your special ability where you can see it in the top left corner. Also in god of war it counts how many hits you strike the enemy with and gives you a rating on how good it is so it’s communicating with the user and encouraging them to do better, also to kill each boss you need to complete a button pressing sequence which pop up during the fight smack bang in the centre so you can see it clearly.
I think that interacting with games consoles is still as simple as the very old consoles back in the day, I think there’s only been a few changes like wireless in controllers and that you can tilt them and they react but the buttons are still pretty much the same hehe. I think in the future it will stay the same, unless they actually introduce proper VR gaming which I think will be rubbish due to its limits, try playing Prince of Persia on one of them and watch you fall and break your ankle now I think that would be repetitive haha!!! The person might as well go outside and jump up walls if he wants a proper reality game. Oh and if you fall you will most likely die, which is a game over I do not want hehe.
The controller and joystick will never die I think it will last as long as video games do, because as I was writing this I imagined from the film Minority report where Tom Cruise is controlling a screen with his hands and even then I think that’s a controller because it would still be button pressing either way. If games were to be controlled with the mind ill take that statement back but then I would have to admit that you’d need to be telepathic and I don’t see that happening at all even with all this brain controlling gizmos on rats etc, total nonsense I think and thatll lead me to my next rant on the next blog.